twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My mother in law had a stroke 2 weeks ago. She is still pretty out of it. Does this sound normal?

Somedays she will node yea or no, but she mostly sleeps all the time. Anyone who has had the same thing happen or know someone will greatly help me out!
Answer:
hi, I had a stroke 2 yrs. ago at the age of 37. It took me 6 months of physical and occupational therapy and a full year to regain the strength in my right side. Sleeping is normal. I did that alot since it took me a while to complete 1 simple task. Encourage her once her MD clears it, to not give up with the therapies as it does take alot of time and patience. Seek out a support group for stroke victims via the american heart association. That is what I did. I cld their number and asked for someone who lived near me to give me a call to answer my questions.That really made a difference in my recovery as well. To meet a person close to my age who suffered from a stroke plus I attended some of the educational meetings and learned alot ranging from driving again to exercises and diet. My husband went with me seeing as he was taking care of me %26 seeing to it that I got all the help I needed.I am doing much better now but I couldn't have done it without the support from my husband, family, friends, and American Heart Association.
i know someone who had a stroke and now they can't really speak properly. Its usually because of brain damage thats caused by the stroke.
Recovery from a stroke is very unpredictable. It can take a few weeks up to a year. It depends a lot on how bad the stroke was. Below is a link to the National Stroke Association's website. You'll be able to find tons of info there.http://www.stroke.org/site/pageserver?pa...
Yes. And sometimes the effects of the stroke develop slowly, like over a few weeks. I'm truly sorry. Just be patient and loving and watch her carefully. She can very well get much better and, possibly, recover fully. My friend had one at 36, very young, and it took her, I'd say, about 6 months to get back to normalcy. There are still some things that haven't gotten back to normal , like the full use of her left arm and hand. But we are just grateful to have her with us.
It is normal. How much functionality she will regain really depends on her age, the severity of the stroke , and the location of the stroke. When somebody has a stroke, in meical terms it is a CVA (cerebrovascular accident). Blood pools and clots in an area of the brain and the clot cannot be dissolved; therefore, a rise in blood pressure is seen. This event is traumatic to the body and results in extreme fatigue. As for her being out of it, I would ask the Doctor and medical team taking care of her. Be reassured that they are probably doing everything they can for her.
Unfortunately, often stroke (CVA) victims will never be the same. You can expect slurred speech, limited or no movement of certain body parts, etc. Strokes can vary in severity too, which will often determine the amount of damage. Smaller strokes (TIA) may or may not affect the person noticeably.
I am so sorry. I had a stoke last year that did not leave me with anything but a weaker left side. The actual event and healing after was the hardest part. I had a headache that lasted 15 days. The most I was alive those days were a few hours after waking then the hurt set in and I had to sleep. I remember I slept like 14 hours the first day and each day I was only awake 6 -8 hours in a total 24hour period. I remember having to sleep . That was it. My body was fixing it's self. So if she had a severe stroke then I don't know how shie will feel or be able to do. Do check with doctors and have her see them. They usually want you to do this.
My Mother had a series of strokes over 3 years, and lost just about all her power of movement and speech. But, with a little effort, I could communicate things and she would answer yes or no--she could also smile, and kiss me. She also knew her surroundings (home), could listen to the TV, and could follow some instructions. Hardest thing was accepting that this would never change--it's hard emotionally, but women are equipped to care for people, and accept reality.
She needs nursing and physical therapy in some setting, either at home, or in a nursing home. She needs to be evaluated by a Physical Therapist, Nurse, doctor, etc. She may never improve. But---once the situation is accepted by the family, there is a lot of happiness in visiting and caring for her. You and your family members need instruction in how to care for her, move her, lift her, etc. so that she won't get injured. The last years my Mother lived (she died at 94) were happy, because she knew she was at home, knew I was there, and had no other worries at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net